Pages

Wednesday 22 June 2011

My Lady Nicotine


Of late I have been questioning my smoking.

One of my favourite books is My Lady Nicotine by J.M. Barrie (Yes, the very same: Hand eating crocodiles, flying fairies, Lillys made from tigers, boys not growing up but being able to fly... you know the one). Nicotine is a wonderful book. Splendid. In fact I urge you to go out and buy a  copy... except you can't because it's out of print. I'll lend you my copy... except i won't because it's a first edition. Anyway. The book is glorious. It depicts the tales of a man who is reminiscing about his bachelor days as a smoker. It's witty and became an instant favourite when I stumbled across at a shop in The Lanes, Brighton (that makes my life sounds far more exciting than it actually is... just to confirm, I travelled there by coach). 

For the central character, who we will call J for that is the only description Barrie gives us, everything tobacco is romanticised now that he is a non-smoker. I find myself doing this too... and I still smoke. When he talks about smoking his briar (pipe for the likes of you and me), I imagine myself sitting on a big leather armchair, slippers gently tipping off my toes, pipe tucked loosely between my lips...I'm imagining being a man also, obviously. I feel a connection with him and want to jump into the book and sit on his house boat smoking the 'Arcadia Mixture' with he and his fellows. Because he is no longer allowed to smoke, his spouse forbids it, his memories are nostalgic and full of warmth for his past situation.

Recently I have been *considering* (very gently, mind) giving up the filthy/delightful weed (please delete as applicable), but every time I think of this book I want to stuff a load of cigarettes in my mouth and laugh heartily with my chums at our adventures. 
What is it that keeps me smoking? I very much doubt it is My Lady Nicotine... but certainly the ideas the book presents are desirable to me. Maybe I should buy an armchair, and a pipe and grow a moustache or maybe I should give up smoking. Sadly I think the former would be much easier. Even the moustache. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Nobody
    I urge you to read Stephen Fry's thoughts on such matters. You may take comfort in them. Excellent Dennis. Keep up the good work Sx

    ReplyDelete